1. Make sure your clothes ACTUALLY fit.
Find that trim-but-not-too-tight happy medium that’s right for your body. That means jeans shouldn’t be baggy, tucked-in dress shirts shouldn’t be voluminous, and T-shirts shouldn’t look like you’re wearing a tent. Likewise, skin-tight clothes aren’t the way to go either.
2. Avoid dad jeans at all costs.
Find some jeans that show it. A pair of low-rise, slim-fit jeans will usually do the trick. In the image above, the jeans toward the left are slimmer and more flattering. 👖
3. Try on clothes in the store before you buy them.
Beter Save that sorry.
4. Get your suits tailored.
Spend the extra money to get your suits, shirts, and pants tailored. It’s more than worth it because 1) you’ll look dapper, and 2) it’ll make your clothes look way more expensive than they actually are.
5. Pleats are OK — if they’re subtle.
Small pleats or folds on dress pants can give you added flexibility without compromising your look. But if the pleats are too big, your pants will balloon around your waist and make you look shorter.
6. If you’re tall and thin, buy clothes that match your length.
Regular XXL clothes may give you the length you need, but they’ll also give you unneeded width, making your clothes look baggy.
7. Roll up the sleeves on your button ups and flannels.
It doesn’t matter what your forearms look like. Exposing them makes you instantly more attractive.
8. Invest in shirts and sweaters.
This is smart for a few reasons: 1) It’s very hard to look bad in them, and 2) It’s an economical way to create different outfit combos.
9. A single nice blazer can revolutionize your wardrobe.
A nice black or dark navy blazer made with quality material is a must-have. Dress it up with a button-up shirt, or dress it down with a T-shirt. It’s the Swiss Army knife of apparel.
10. If you’re in the market for a suit, go for dark charcoal or navy blue.
These two staples, which you can pair with a range of shirt and tie colors, will get you through all four seasons, and they’ll NEVER go out of style.
11. Mix in some color to make things pop.
It’s OK to love your blacks and blues and grays, but surprise people every now and then by mixing in some color.
12. Step up your shoe game.
Shoes can make or break an outfit, so if you can only get one thing in your wardrobe right, let it be your shoes. Our suggestion: Go with a pair of chukka boots — you can dress ’em up or down depending on the look you’re going for. 👞
13. Wear sneakers selectively and sparingly.
Athletic-inspired looks are big right now, but that doesn’t mean you should be wearing sneakers every time you step out. Unless you’re headed to the gym, athletic shoes are a big no-no. However, feel free to rock a pair of New Balance or fashion sneakers every now and then. 👟
14. Keep your shoes clean.
And learn how to shine your own shoes!
15. Match your belt and shoes.
Your leather shouldn’t be competing.
16. Look classy as hell with a good-looking watch.
Wearing a watch makes you look put together
17. Your tie should complement — not compete with — your shirt.
A good rule of thumb is that the main color of the tie should contrast with your shirt, while a secondary color in the tie should match it. 👔
18. Figure out which hairstyle works best for your face shape.
A nice haircut can really improve a guy’s appearance, and nailing a good hairstyle is a gift from the style gods.
20. Put your personality into what you wear, And Don’t be afraid to be caught looking nice
A well-dressed man can exude confidence, self-awareness, and maturity without ever saying a word. You want to look like a man and not a boy? Dress like one.
Never wear something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Trust in your own taste and be confident — then the style is all yours! Remember, style is just the icing on the cake, so let it reflect your personality and quirks.